Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Transmissions and things................

What a crazy past couple of days. *sigh*

Yesterday, Hubby & I decided to be awesome parents & take the kids to the park.  It has been VERY nice out here, I'm talking like upper 70's, and Lil Lady was just aching to get outside.  So, we got the kids loaded up, grabbed everything we needed and headed out the door.  We got LITERALLY a block away from the park, had to stop at a stop sign, and when Hubby went to accelerate, NADA.  Nothing, zip, zero, zilch.  The car wouldn't move. Great.  It had been acting up a bit over the last couple weeks, but we were hoping that we would be able to make it til our taxes came in, because we just didn't have the money for the deductible. 

So, since it decided to be a *insert expletive here*, we were kind of left up a creek without a stinking paddle. I immediately called my parents, who were not in town.  They had gone to church and the store, and luckily were on their way home.  So, they came to get us.  They were able to use their AAA membership to get the car towed to the transmission place for free, which was fantastic.  We have a warranty on the car, luckily, and the deductible is $150.  Ouch.  But at least we have the warranty, and won't have to pay for the transmission out of pocket.  We played with the kids at the park for a little bit (mainly just Lil Lady....Lil Man isn't big enough yet. :P), then my mom brought me and the kids home so I could get them lunch and naps, and my dad stayed with Hubby to get the car towed.  Once they finally got back, Hubby came home with my parents car and we loaded up and went over there for dinner.  Needless to say, I had a couple beverages of the alcohol variety to try and calm my nerves.

This morning, Hubby called the warranty and the transmission shop and was able to get it all coordinated to get the stinking car fixed.  We were also able to get a rental car.  Luckily, since we are broker than a joker, my parents were able to loan us the money for the rental car until we get our taxes back.  It seems like that's our luck.....something major ALWAYS seems to happen when we don't have the means to take care of it without help.  Though, if I had a job, I'm sure that things would have been a bit different, and we may not have had to borrow so much from my parents. 

I feel VERY blessed that we now live close to my parents, because I don't know what we would have done otherwise.  It's nice having family close by to help in these type of situations.

In other news, I got back on the "let's eat better and get healthier" train after the first of the year.  I quit drinking soda on....um.....the 2nd I think.  So, basically 4 weeks with no soda at this point.  Then I also started back on Weight Watchers, just tracking and doing it on my own at home.  The first week, I only lost 1 lb.  Last week, I lost 2.4.  This week, I lost 5.2! I was pretty stinking excited!! I'm really paying attention to what I'm eating, and making a valiant effort to try and eat better.  I'm trying to limit carbs, since that is my biggest downfall.  I LOVE me some pasta, rice, bread, etc.  But, I want to be around for a lot of years for my kiddos, and at this weight, I'm not going to be.  Hubby is going right along with me, and so we're trying to do better.

My biggest issue is lack of easy, tasty, healthy recipes.  So if any of you guys have some tried and true, not horrible for you recipes that aren't too difficult (remember, I have 2 little ones, so spending hours in the kitchen isn't a good option for me), please pass them along!  I would definitely appreciate it!

Well, I need to let the dogs out (AGAIN) and get to bed.  I'm pooped and it's late.  Sorry it took me so long to get this done, but I just had to get some other stuff done first.

Stay safe and be blessed my friends, until we meet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment